Saturday 15 August 2015

Book Review: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie




Murder on the Orient Express is the 10th Hercule Poirot book and it's average rating on goodreads
is 4.12/5 . The book was first published in 1933 and the English paperback version has 322 pages.

As some of you may know, I haven't been a fan of reading for long. It started about a year ago when
I read the Hunger Games -trilogy. I have read two books by Agatha Christie before: And Then There 
Were None & Death on the Nile. I read both books for school. So many people told me Agatha Christie's books are good but I honestly couldn't remember if I liked them that much. I decided to
read this book for my reading challenge (previous post) and see if I like it.

"Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of the year. But by the morning there was one passenger fewer. A passenger lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside."
(Goodreads)

Poirot gets the task to find out who the murderer is. I think about 1/3 of the book is him interviewing
the travelers, trying to catch the killer. This case is a bit more complicated than what Poirot is used to:
it seems to become more illogical all the time. Everyone seems to have an alibi but it is also impossible
for someone to have left the train. 

I enjoyed the book though I am not a fan of mystery and crime. I thought the interview part was sometimes a bit boring. Nevertheless, the story was interesting and I really wanted to know who the killer is since nothing made sense! I think I would like crime books more if I could actually figure out who the killer is before they reveal it but I have never managed to do that! In some books it is also impossible. 

I read this book in one day (well, 6 hours) since the Finnish version had just 214 pages and I was
doing the reading challenge, It was nice to read a book which isn't a trilogy or series for a change!



No comments :

Post a Comment